Avionics: Wayne, Eric, Ian
Progress: Incorporated new team members. Successfully tested FlightGear data link at 5 Hz with Cockpit Interface Controller software. All parameters responded as expected. Identified need for precision control and possible filtering of data from FlightGear.
Goals & Ongoing Activities:
-Initial test of data input to FlightGear
-Development of avionics prototyping assembly
-Switch and potentiometer selection
-Development of FlightGear B-25 systems model
Exterior Sheet Metal Team - Scott S.
Exterior Sheet Metal team remains on hold until the next big phase (buttoning up the turret enclosure. In the mean time, sheet metal crew will be assisting Randy on interior metal in the hopes we get this done in the next couple weeks in order to get the interior painted.
Flight Controls - Scott S & Eric S
The throttle quadrant arms are now finished. They have been removed from the enclosure temporarily so the enclosure can be painted with the interior of the 25. In the meantime, work is underway for the interfacing mechanics that will be needed to send signals to the Avionics Team (throttle, prop & mixture arms).
Team Leads: Please share your progress by commenting on this entry.
Team Leads - please leave a blog comment with your updates
Plexiglass - Bill
Nose plexiglas frame work is 90% complete on the B25 fuselage. Nose plexiglas mold was formed and cut down to the finish shape at the last work session. Lynn Miller is planning to fiber glass a section next Saturday.
Interior Sheet Metal - Randy
This past Saturday the Interior Sheet Metal team consisted of Edward & Thomas. We completed the templates for the front bombardier bulkhead and cut the aluminum pieces. These will require trimming/fitting in the next work session. We also very nearly completed the fitting of the piece for the inside of the rear bulkhead. Soon these will all be attached and we can move on to the main floor area and bombardier access tunnel.
Trailer Team - submitted by Scott M.
pulled wheels & checked bearings
Interior Sheet Metal - Randy
We had a good day. Jeremiah & Ben were on my team and we trimmed both rear bulkhead pieces. The outer one is ready to be attached but the inner one still needs a bit of fitting. We also nearly completed the template for the front bulkhead.
Exterior Sheet Metal - Scott S.
Sheet metal crew readied up one of the major top skins for riveting. The second top skin will be readied up this coming session. Once both skins are ready, we will likely schedule an off week session as a major riveting session (thus keeping the noise level down to tolerable during regular YA meetings).
3D Cad Crew - Eric
3D Cad Crew is about done with the design of the upper throttle quadrant. Once complete, they will be starting the process of 3D printing the control arms.
Plexiglass - Bill
PlexiForming of the nose section is nearly complete. Testing is now underway to devise the best means for shaping the Plexiglas panels.
Instrument Panel - Enrico
I found a friend who has years of experience with machining, aviation and mechanical parts. He is helping me connect the DC motors that I bought to the existing tachometer of the B-25. It will probably not be ready by this Saturday, but it should be in mid November and we are confident it will work.
Instrument Panel - Wayne
The detailed design for the simulated instruments continues. The 3D models for 18 of 24 instruments on the main panel has been completed. Initial 3D printed parts have been created. As we are learning about 3D modeling and printing as we go, there are changes and updates to be made to the models. However, the results are positive that we can use 3D printed parts to create the required simulated instruments, including gears and indicators. The instrument electronics board is being designed and should be complete by the end of October. Our end-of-the-year goal is to have several instruments complete for demonstration.
Attached is the latest model for the turret (3D PDF). Cliff and I decided to focus on getting the rotating base done and moving up from there. The Aluminum box is 1' X 1' X 2' containing everything. The shaft is 3" steel with the flange on top to mount the pole and everything above. Rotation will be from an electric linear actuator and rack and pinion set-up. I also attached a budgetary bill of materials. We can do a lot better on the Aluminum but I threw them in there anyway.
This is still just a preliminary model, but with real components. We have some further design to do but just keeping you apprised of the progress.
Update notifications aren't coming through on FB pages. Troubleshooting in progress